Tuesday, March 29, 2011

10- Munich

I was in a state of delirium as the lights clicked on in the cabin. Outside the window, a distinctly European landscape rolled by under the belly of the plane. Fairy tale cottages dotting rolling hills, and immense, snow blanketed mountains. I heard one of us say, “Are those the Alps?” I’m pretty sure they were.

The daylight and the landscape washed away enough of my fatigue to make me think that I could make my transfer without falling asleep in the Munich duty-free. I talked in an intensely gravely morning voice with my sleeping seatmate, not realizing that she was asleep.

“Are you going to Albanian?” A well dressed, and well rested man stood in the aisle of the airplane looking down at me expectantly. I told him that we were, and explained our purpose without going into the nitty-gritty details of the Three Goals of the Peace Corps. He announced himself as an Albanian, living in Tirana. Bells and whistles and alarms began shouting in my brain- ALBANIAN! ALBANIAN! ALBANIAN!

I should explain; while in California, I searched high and low for an Albanian person to talk to about their country, as if I would land in the country and say, "Do you know, that Albanian guy Edgar from Whittier? Yeah, I know him!" And then the country would think I was cool. I even went so far as to post an ad on Craigslist with the title, “Are you Albanian?”* This was all without result. If Los Angeles had Albanians I would have found them. But here I was, face to face with a real Shqiptare.


I began mumbling inanely, wondering if I should use some of the guidebook greetings that I had memorized with flashcards I had made for myself. I thought about asking him if he knew any of the Albanian Hip-Hop that I had listened to on Youtube. I considered asking him if he wanted to circle dance in the cabin of the airplane. Instead I stared at him, opening and closing my mouth intermittently. He introduced himself as Igli, a businessman, who spends half his time between Tirana and Washington, he gave me his card, and told me to let him know if I was in Tirana. He turned on a heel and left.
I sat there for a stunned moment, feeling as if I had just received Jay-Z’s personal number. Albanians are rad. I thought.

*I'm sad to say this is true.

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, craigslist. Siiiggh, that made my day. Maybe week. Just died. Also, only one of the half dozen times I've been to dallas/fw did I not have to run five football field lengths to catch my connecting flight. even the ceilings are freakishly high.
    ~al

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone else has noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude awesome blog! I love it. How is life now that you're in country? Everything change with boots on the ground?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you my friend. (It's Calarco)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are soooo behind Eric, get with the blogging program already, sheesh.

    ReplyDelete